Vile Parle is divided into two parts: Vile Parle (East) and Vile Parle(West) by the railway line. The east-west boundries of Vile Parle are from Juhu (west) to Sahar, Andheri (east).
Vile Parle possess some of the social and business houses known internationally such as Parle Biscuit Factory and the Hare Rama Hare Krishna Temple (ISKCON).
Chatrapati Shivaji Domestic Aiport, Mumbai's domestic airport is in Vile Parle. One of the leading Indian brands for confectionery and biscuits, Parle Biscuits started out here. You can almost smell the sweet fragrance on the highway or in the suburban train while passing through here.
The name 'Vile Parle' is derived from the names of small villages that included Idlai - Padlai. Around 1897, some of the rich businessmen came down to Western Suburbs and bought real estate on large scale. Also some middle class families and government officers came to Vile Parle to settle down. The railway station was built somewhere in 1906 or 1907.
One of the rich businessman Shri Gokuldas Tejpal bought over the huge piece of land near railway station (east) and built a palatial bunglow called Mor Bangla. (1904). There were mainly Maharashtrian families who bought lands and constructed bunglows and chawls in Vile Parle (E). Dr. Dada Kambli started a charitable trust. He also built small shops alongside the railway line. The Paranjape family started Silver Trading business. Shri Baburao Paranjape who was the main founder of cooperative housing societies in Vile Parle entered into construction business knowing the growing need of middle class small families and helped them settle down in Vile Parle by making small flats available in affordable price. Paranjape also built the famous Parleshwar Mandir.
In 1921, Parle Tilak Vidyalaya was founded as a tribute to Late Shri Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak and in 1924, Lokmanya Seva Sangh (Tilak Mandir) came to an existence. Both these institutions have greatly contributed in bringing up the younger generation of Vile Parle residents and making them the responsible citizens of this country. Parle Tilak Vidyalaya association started its own Parle College (now called as Sathye College) in 1959 followed by M.L. Dahanukar College of Commerce, Mulund College of Commerce and Dahanukar Institute of Management and also Paranjpe Vidyalaya, Marathi and English medium.
In 1928 Vile Parle Flying Club was founded in Juhu area and in 1932 late Shri J. R. D. Tata landed his 'Pusmoth' plane at the Juhu Airport.
These are the latest Real Estate Blogs, News & Analysis helping you understand the MUmbai Property Market throughly and in-depth.